7.25.2005

vanity plates

I've never felt the need for vanity plates on a vehicle before, but I'm thinking of them now for the vehicle I'm about to purchase.

The state limits text to a total of seven letters, numbers, and spaces combined, which is a pretty stringent limitation in my book. It means, for example, that REPLEVIN is out as a plate name. I suppose I could use REPLEVN.

My Real Last Name is short enough to use on plates, but I frankly think that's a bit of a security risk.

So far I've come up with:

1. TDGOR. A salute to this blog. Seems a little strange, and if history repeats itself I will have this vehicle for almost two decades. It's hard for me to imagine that I will be blogging in this venue in 2025.

2. REPLEVY Weak. My practice doesn't really involve much replevying, and I like it that way. I'm not looking to expand the time I spend chasing mostly fruitlessly after personalty.

3. 801D1. This is a little obscure, which I really like--and it doesn't even look like a vanity plate. This may be the strongest candidate extant.

4. DKGDESS. I noticed that the plate name GODDESS is "not available." Whether this means that the state won't issue it, or it already has, I don't know. I am concerned that some people might find it offensive, my calling myself a Dark Goddess. Irony and nuance, indeed the rather elaborate parody that the "dark goddess of replevin" brand identity has become, all get lost at 65 mph. What is left might, I fear, be road rage.

Would the same presumable population that finds GODDESS offensive find DKGDESS equally offensive? I have to think about this. I don't want to be spreading disharmony around me on the highways (I blow bubbles with the kids' bubble solution out the window during traffic jams). Life is too short.

No comments: